14 December 2009

[LGBT Interview] Calii - Rapper....



EvOn: What's Good?


CaLii: Everything ...living life & doing what I love so I couldn't ask for more.


EvOn: Can you give us a quick introduction of yourself for our visitors?


CaLii: The names CaLii & im a female rapper from the tri-state area.


EvOn: So what's happening with you & the music at the moment?


CaLii: I just recently dropped a new mixtape called SwaGGaLiCiOuS. COM hosted by Large Amount from D-Block, so I have been doing a lot of promotional work and networking. Busy with shows, interviews, just getting myself out there. More recently I have become a member of this site to network with more people in the gay community and become a part of more LGBT events. Been busy but I love every minute of it.


EvOn: Are there any plans for any Collabs anytime soon?


CaLii: Lately all I have been doing is collabs & features. Since I dropped the mixtape in November & im not currently working on a new project, I have been working with other people. I do anticipate working more with some other gay/lesbian rappers.


EvOn: When people check out ya music What has the response been like so far?


CaLii: Great! I always get a positive response when people check out my music. I make a variety of music so there is always a track that someone is going to like.


EvOn: what inspires you to make ya tracks?


CaLii: I get inspiration from everything. My life, situations im put in or have been through, or just the world around us. For example I have a track called recession and people always seem to connect with that song. Our country is just in a bad place right now so even if the person listening to the song doesn't connect with it, they know someone who can. I write about anything & everything....im not afraid to speak my mind or express the fact that I love women =)

EvOn: what's the Gay hip hop scene like in the US?


CaLii: The gay hip-hop scene in the US is pretty much non-existent commercially but getting more popular in the underground scene. We have those few commercial artist that claim to be bi. Maybe it's true or maybe for publicity but I refuse to hide who I am so hopefully I can be the one to change the music industry for gay artist















EvOn: How Hard is it to make it in this industry as a female Rapper, and is being Gay important to sale your music or should you keep ya sexuality to your selfs?


The music industry is extremely hard to make it in as a female rapper. Most men don't think women can do it like they can or just dont respect females as rapper. There are many other reasons but the point is that the industry is dominated by males so to make it as a female rapper you must really prove yourself. Now as far as being a gay female rapper....that's a whole another issue. Me being gay isn't important to sell my music but important to me in general. Being gay isn't a gimmick or something used to get a bigger fan base, its who I am and I accept who I am so why cant others. I refuse to hide who I am and not be able to live my life as an artist. If I change my appearance, rap about guys, and put on an act....that's not being real and one thing that im not is fake.


EvOn: Are there any other artists from the US/UK or from the gay scene that we should be looking out for right now?


CaLii: Of course...umm. ME!


EvOn: If you wasn't making music what do you think you would be doing right now?


CaLii: Actually most people don't know that im a full-time college student so if I wasn't making music i would probably just be your average college student. Music is my number one focus and what I see myself doing now & in the future but it's always good to have a backup plan so college it is. I'm an educated rapper & proud=)


EvOn: How important do you think it is for new artist’s to know their history and appreciate the different elements of Hiphop even if they don’t partake in them?


CaLii: Knowing the history of music is only going to give you a greater appreciation of music and help the person grow as an artist. I fell inlove with hiphop because of what is was, how it emerged, and I enjoy being a part of what it is becoming. If other artist don't appreciate the history of hiphop than are they even really hiphop?


EvOn: any final words / shoutouts before we finish?


CaLii: Hmm let me think....Momma I love you! Haha aside from her let me thank you for this interview and for your contribution to the LGBT community in the US and UK. I also want to send a big thanks to all my fans & everyone who supports my music and just know your all going to be seeing a lot more of CaLii!




External Links


DowneLink: 
Myspace: 
Youtube: 
Twitter: 
DatPiff Link:

3 comments:

  1. Calii is a hottie! Her music is pretty dope too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. will be lookin out for her i the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. a rapper but focused on education 2...i like that

    ReplyDelete

"Ok, So what is it you got to say?"...

K.Swin - Fashion Photographer

Roy Tanck's Flickr Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.

Get this widget at roytanck.com

iamevon